Thursday, October 17, 2013

10.14-16, 2013 9 Weeks with Clark

I'm a Granny!  My favorite middle son Tim and favorite middle daughter in law Mary had a baby boy back in August!  Mary is a teacher, and she contracted to take the first 9 weeks of school off to stay home with Clark Davis.  I contracted with my place of employment to work via computer and cell phone so that I can stay with my favorite first grandchild for the next 9 weeks of his life.

I started this past Monday.

Oct 14…awake around 4:45 and dozed until 6:45 when I pulled on clothes and went downstairs to eat oatmeal before they left.  How was the day?

It was the Best of Times... it was the Worst of Times. 

When he wasn’t shrieking his disgust about the absence of his mother and the milk she delivers, he was either Clark napping (short naps, here and there, when he was overcome with exhaustion from the disgust shrieking) or thankfully, he was a cutie pie...learning how his face works...smiling, frowning, sticking that lower lip out, wooing “haaaaoooooo” or gazing up at the sky in wonder as we walked around the backyard.   I was happy to see 3:30 arrive and I was HAPPIER that he had just pooped, we had just had a few happy moments during the diaper change, and when his parents walked in, there was little evidence that he can shriek like an Irish Banshee.  I went to bed at 8:30, intending to read, but overcome by exhaustion when I laid down.

Oct 15.  Up at 4:45…sigh.  Dozed until 6:45.  Downstairs for oatmeal!  Clark didn’t shriek in horror when he saw me, so evidently he’d forgotten the hell that was yesterday.   We played and then he slept for about an hour…woke up and we went for a stroll!  It worked out really well, and he fell asleep half way thru – so I kept walking until I felt like I was pushing my luck.  I brought the entire stroller up the tilted front  yard and then left sleeping Clark in the carrier – he slept for awhile longer.  He tried the bottle for awhile, but again, not much impressed.  But we’ve had lots of happy smiling time, read a few books, had a few laughs, a few walks around the back yard.  If it ever rains or gets cold, I might be in trouble...



Oct 16.  Woke briefly at some point but went back to sleep and woke when the alarm went off at 5:35…ran downstairs for a shower before the kids started their routine and was back upstairs before they even got out of bed.  Baby slept well and ate well…and then slept for nearly 2 hours after they left!  It was a good day overall…I’ve discovered a trick about the bottle.  If I sit in the soft chair, and have the tv on, he’ll watch the tv with enough attention to overlook the fact that he’s trying to drink milk from a bottle.  He probably drooled more than he drank, but he had enough to get thru the day and he was sucking on the bottle when Mary walked back in the house at 4!  From 2 – 3, we strolled around the neighborhood; he slept for most of the trip and I somehow lucked out that we got back to the house just when he started grousing. Into the house for an hour of diaper table, smiles, and a bottle drool.  A good day overall!





No comments:

Post a Comment