Thursday, November 1, 2012

10.31.2012 All the Last Times

10.31.2012

In perusing blogs, I came across this one.  http://3x3x365.blogspot.com  .

Three friends from three different parts of the country (Asheville NC, South Bend IN, and Richmond VA)   post to this blog each day, sharing their lives with each other and people like me who have become interested in their photos and their written thoughts.

This post by Richmond VA really hit home.   http://3x3x365.blogspot.com/2012/10/102912.html

Here's an excerpt...

"I tore a page out of Reader’s Digest once.
 It was a short essay entitled All the Last Times
For years I had a copy of it on my refrigerator,
 and have shared it with every new mom I know. 
Today I am sharing it with "old" moms who,
 like me, are shocked by the fact that kids grow up."


Read the whole post.

If you're a Mom with grown up children, you might have a tear or two.

All the FIRST Times are really important and those are the things that really stand out in your memory when you have babies -  the FIRST time you know that baby looked at you and KNEW you, The FIRST word, the FIRST step, the FIRST day of school.

But the LAST TIMES are hard to remember, because the LAST TIME just doesn't have the impact, because you just don't KNOW it's the last time until, as she mentioned in her post, you're standing somewhere and you think..Huh.  When WAS that last time??   And then devastation hits, because you just don't have a distinct memory.  Like...

~~the last time I pulled a tshirt over a big ol' baby head because he couldn't escape from it
~~the last time the boys argued about who would be my Couch Pal for the evening
~~the last time each boy came to ME for a hug when they were hurting, instead of to a girlfiend

I think that's why I like to take pictures.  If  nothing else, I've got that Last Time I was with Someone in a jpg.   But I think if I'd known the last Couch Pal argument WAS the final one, I'd have insisted everyone sit with me in a Big Pile.

:)









No comments:

Post a Comment