Friday, September 14, 2012

09.14.2012 OOH Look! Two in a Row!

09.14.2012

My friend Scott has an 18 year old Truck.  I don't know the details, it's just a big ol' blue pick up Truck.  I like riding in it because it's high off the ground - I get a whole different perspective of the world I'm traveling through when I'm higher off the ground.

Sometimes he has troubles with his Truck. This part breaks,  that part squeals, there's a mysterious fluid leaking out.  Plus it eats gas like I eat Oatmeal Crunch Bars left out on the counter.  The solution?  Back Up Car.  Having a Back Up Car makes sense when you have an 18 year old truck.

In the 2 years I've known Scott, he's bought and sold  3 different used vehicles to have as a Back Up Car for his truck.  Unfortunately, these Back Up Cars sometimes need a Back Up Car of their own.  Luckily he has a  Nephew, the Mechanic, who has been happy to work on his Uncle's ailing vehicles.

About a month ago he was between Back Up Cars.  He only had the Truck.  And one morning, it would not start.  Nope.  Nothing.   And he discovered that he'd finally reached the point (the age?) of being tired of dealing with old, tired vehicles.

So instead of cruising the posts on Craig's List, he researched the deals out there in New Car land.   And one fine afternoon, he signed the lease papers on a brand new VW Passat!  Stick Shift, silver, great gas mileage, HEATED SEATS!  He loves this car.  And at only 200 bucks a month for the lease, such a deal!

The truck sits patiently waiting for an outing to Menards, now serving the role as the Back Up Truck.

BUT there is a problem with this new, pristine rust-free car.  It's beautiful!  No Rust!  Its a problem!  Why?  It won't fit in his tiny, 1940's size garage!   My Kia Soul barely fits in his garage.  Scott now fears Hail!  Falling Tree Limbs!  Snow!  Salt!  Ack!

So now we are investigating Storage Solutions for his car.  What's the best way to go?  A garage for sure!  but that could cost at least 10k.  Does he want to put that kind of money into the property at this point?  What about a free standing vehicle shelter!  Is it allowed in the city of Greenwood?  Would the neighbors complain?  Are there RULES???  And if he did put up a shelter for 1-2k, wouldn't it just be better to spend the 10k?

So off to Home Depot last night to see what we could see.  And out in their parking lot, they've got Tuff Sheds!  http://www.tuffshed.com/   And they build GARAGES!  There's a BARN GARAGE with 2nd story dormers that would match his little white house very nicely.

But that's the current dilemma.  What to do!  what to do?

And whatever he does, he's gotta make up his mind fast because it's already the middle of September.

I wrote all that, just to say this.  Last night, standing in one of the sample Tuff Sheds they have in the parking lot, the one with windows and a good smelling wood floor and joists, and a front porch... I could probably live in such a place, a Tiny House.  As long as it had a good yard for me to step out into.  http://tinyhouseblog.com/ 

I'd just have to get rid of a lot of stuff.  I could do it.  Maybe I can convince each of my boys to build me a tiny house in their back yards.

Wonder if I could convince Scott to live in a Tiny House with me?

:)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment