Wednesday, September 16, 2015

09.16.2015 A chance meeting at Steak and Shake

09.16.2015  Below is something I wrote on 9.11 and posted on Facebook as part of my 2015 Picaday.  It has nothing to do with the huge American tragedy that happened 14 years ago when so many people lost their lives - the date is just happenstance.  I'm posting it here as part of my blog because I didn't want to lose what I'd written after I met Shirley, a little old woman who lost her husband just over a year ago.




9.11.2015

Scott and I walked over to Steak and Shake for a quick supper.  As we walked to our booth, I noticed a little old lady over by the windows.  She was sitting by herself, slowly sipping her coffee, playing with her napkin, just looking at the other diners.  Scott and I sat down and ordered our food.  I looked over and she was still by herself, looking kind of sad and lonely.

So I went over and slid into the seat across from her and said "Hi!  I saw you sitting here by yourself and I was compelled to come over and say HI!"  She smiled a big smile at me, straightened up a bit and said in a soft voice "Do I know you?"

I said "Nope!" and smiled back at her.  We started talking.

Shirley is 88 years old a pretty woman with a soft wrinkled face.  Her husband of 65 years died about a year ago.  They would often eat at the Steak and Shake, since it's close to where they lived and she eats there still.  "I eat my sandwich and pretend that my Rex is sitting across from me."

She misses him so much that at night alone in her apartment she cries for him.

I asked about children or grandchildren - she has them but none live close to Greenwood and everyone is so busy she hates to ask very often for some time.  She was upset that her photograph album wasn't in her purse - she wanted to show me a picture of Rex.  I asked her what color his eyes were and she smiled and said they were a little blue, a little green "and he had a beautiful smile."

Eventually I went back to my table but kept an eye on her as I told Scott of our conversation.  She smiled over at me as she packed up her onion rings and paid for her meal and then stood.  I hopped up, went over and gave her a big hug.  She hugged me back, looked up at me and said "Thank you so much for coming to my table.  I'm not so lonely right now."

She followed me back to my table, thanked Scott for sharing me for a few minutes and then left.  I tell you what, I wanted to ask her for her address and phone number so I could take care of her but you know, little old ladies shouldn't give out their info to just anyone.

I'm so glad I went over.  :)  If you see someone sitting by themselves, don't be afraid to go over and say HI.  You might be just what they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment